I was reading an article on bosschicks.com recently entitled 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She’s 30 and I found it to be quite interesting. However, my friends and I were wondering what a sophisticated and mature man might have to say about the list…and of course…we thought of you! So if you don’t mind, could you drop a line or two about the following.
I appreciate you kind comments and hope the following satisfies, speaking only for myself, the male’s perspective that you seek.
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come- why is this important? Old boyfriends are OLD for a reason and the “one that reminds you of how far you have come” should be more about reflecting on your own growth during that period, then what you went through with one individual.
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.- This is a big deal… I guess. But I’m sure if you waited until after 30 to fulfill this…you would be just fine.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.- Again, this is less about the outfit and more about your personality and or circumstance. If your career requires that you be “on” and at the ready, then handle your business and while your man may love to see you in that “get em’ girl dress” or tight pair of jeans…. trust that if he really wants to see you in an hour…he ain’t worried about your clothes.
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.- Yeah I see this being important, but I would say…it’s probably more important that your purse, suitcase, and/or umbrella…actually does what it is intended to do above all. If it doesn’t…that’s much more critical than what it looks like.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.- #TrueStory…. everyone should understand that what we did when we were younger, good or bad, right or wrong, can make us better as long as we understand it in it’s proper perspective.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.- Just be careful…because if other people were there, they have a story to tell too!
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age — and some money set aside to help fund it.- Yeah but don’t get so caught up in trying to save for the future that you forget about the life you should be living in the present.
8. An bank account, email address, and voicemail box — all of which nobody has access to but you.- #AdultLife
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.- Padding your resume is LYING!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t Do it, please don’t do it *Drake Voice* People get fired for that kind of thing.
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.- Good friends are hard to come by….and different friends play different roles in our lives. #Like
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.- So I’m confused. Am i to believe that a woman should be able to fix anything that she has, but if for some reason she can’t or doesn’t want to, she should just use her God given #abilities to get it done for her?
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because..- if you feel this is necessary. Might I suggest taking that money and use it to make it’s own money…#JustASuggestion
13. The belief that you deserve it.- This is tied to #12…… you may think you deserve it, but that doesn’t mean you have to be delusional and set your self back over something trivial.
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.- Indeed, take care of yourself….#YOLO…lol
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.- I agree with this
16. How to fall in love without losing yourself.- This has more to do with you and what you define as falling in love and losing yourself. There are those who believe that you must lose some of yourself to make room for the someone else you are choosing to fall in love with.
17. How you feel about having kids.- Yes and please be honest with the person you are dating or committed to from the very beginning about this subject.
18. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.- Keep It Classy…I can dig it!
19. When to try harder and when to walk away.- How about we add…when to avoid before engaging in the first place?
20. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.- Are we talking about kissing on the cheek vs. Kissing anywhere else? because I would think kissing anywhere besides the cheek is only communicating one road of travel and one final destination…#justsayin
21. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers’ names, and the best restaurant in town.- Family history, I can understand…but Why do you need to know the secretary of state by age 30? Who cares about that?
22. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.- True and nothing worse than a person, specifically a woman, who act like living alone is a death warrant.
23. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.- this is true….but also keep in mind that those things are too…a matter of perspective; that you can control.
24. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.- #Preach
25. Where to go — be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat — when your soul needs soothing.- And even if those things aren’t enough…professional help does not make you crazy or weak…..
26. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.- Be careful with this one…. and when you do have an understanding of what you would and wouldn’t do…#KeepItToYourself until you are faced with a decision to act upon what you have already decided.
27. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.- *See Lindsey Lohan*
28. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.- #Awesome
29. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.- I agree with this, however when you mix in #28,and then you consider the relationship with the person who may need the apology, understand that this may be situational and apologizing may not be the worst thing.
30 . Why they say life begins at 30.-if this means that there is nothing wrong with embracing your age…I agree with this too!
If anyone reading has any other opinion on the following list, please contribute!
Hope that works for you,