Unless you have been in some remote location cut off electronically from the rest of the world (what’s up Amish folks!) you’ve been made aware of the Chad “Ochocinco” Johnson situation in more ways than one. Basically he and his Twitter bride, Evelyn got into it over a condom receipt found in the car. Some words were exchanged. He headbutted her. She filed an order of protection. He got cut from the Miami Dolphins (talk about Hard Knocks). VH1 dropped whatever reality show he was going to be in. And then she filed for divorce 41 days after they got married. Take that Kim K!
Then came the internet memes. The twitter jokes. The Facebook statusi. The speculation of what was going on with the couple at the time. The accusations of Evelyn being a “crazy bitch” (no Uncle Elroy).
“Magic Johnson wife finds out he has HIV & stays for 20 years. Evelyn finds out Chad has condoms & leaves immediately. A headbutt was in order.”
“OJ tried to save a hoe, Breezy tried to save a hoe, Chad tried to save a hoe. Moral is get u a real woman. Stop saving these hoes.”
“I’ve gotten more surprise head than Chad Johnson’s wife”
Why is this acceptable? Granted, I laughed, and then shook my head at the whole situation. But at what point did it become okay to make light of domestic violence? What do you call your tank top undershirt? A wife beater. Without batting an eye (or butting a head) not only is domestic violence taken lightly, some have gone so far as to suggest Evelyn had it coming.
You mean to tell me that someone yelling at you deserves them to get head butted. In a car? Firstly, it’s just against all good judgement to argue in a car. Period. And yes I know that only the two of them really know what happened, just like Chris Brown and Rhiana. Lots of speculation at hand.
There are at least 5 things he could have done do to effectively let it be known he wants the conversation to end instead of forcibly connecting his forehead with her face. Like some goddamn action hero.
1. Stop driving and cuss me out.
2. Pull over and we get out of the car and yell in the street like normal people.
3. Call my momma a stank ho
4. Slow the car to a roll, reach over, open my door, then slam on the brakes so I fall out and leave me on the corner to fend for a ride.
5. Pulled out a weave track.
And here are some statistics on how real domestic violence is:
- Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.
- Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.
See how serious that is?! And yes domestic violence is still domestic violence when a woman is beating a man. It happens. And it’s very high in same sex couples because I mean, you can take em. Why would you take the smack talk from someone your size?
Did you find the Chad Johnson situation pathetic? Hilarious? Puzzling? Did he deserve losing his wife, job, TV show about whatever? What are ways to diffuse the situation with your SO before the shit gets too real and you lose your job on HBO?