“I think we are inviting God’s judgement on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage’”- Dan Cathy President of Chick Fil A
Now, truth be told, I did not want to touch this issue. I wasn’t going to give it any time, thought, or characters…however, after what I saw yesterday on the news and after some of the tweets that ran across my timeline, I decided that I would chime in. But before I do, there are a few foundational things that I would like you to understand about my viewpoint so that, after reading, we can all walk away with the same understanding and perspective about what you just read.
1) This blog is not intended to CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE, only to offer an opinion.
2) The Bible is the Word of God for the Christian; it was not written in English, it was translated in English; understanding full context of scripture requires study; study of English words in their original Hebrew and/or Greek meanings and in totality of time, place and purpose by which it is written.
3) I am a Christian; that tries to live my life, as best I can according to Biblical Principle.
4) I am Flawed; perfection has, is and will always be unattainable while here on earth.
Now with that out of the way, maybe someone can help me understand a few things, because as of now, I really don’t get what people are up in arms about. The following are thoughts that I had, and I am open to someone “educating me” on where I am going wrong in my understanding.
1) Did I miss a portion of the bible where Homosexuality was the sin above all sins?- I mean I read somewhere that homosexuality is is only mentioned 12 times in the bible whereas the sin of hatred is mentioned 21 times, lying and false testimony 30, greed, avarice and covetousness 40, theft 42, adultery 52, murder 57, self-righteousness 79, and idolatry 169 times. I mean I can think of one particular passage where homosexuals are mentioned along with idolaters, adulterers, and fornicators…. but again, maybe I missed an earlier or newer translation. Does Cathy know for sure that all the companies that Chick Fil A donates to have the same beliefs as him? Does Cathy believe that when he makes a mistake in his life, that he is also “inviting the judgement of God”.
2) Is America still a “Free Speech” Nation?- or is it more Freedom of Speech as long as what you are saying jives with the majority of the population. I don’t have a problem with Cathy’s comments….but what I do have a problem with is this notion that he can be against same sexed marriage, but at the same time he does not make it a standard to ask all of Chick Fil A’s patrons to reveal their sexual orientation before taking their money. I don’t know about you but I’ve never been asked if I was gay, or believe in same sex marriage when ordering my #1 or 8 piece nugget.
3) What about Love?- and not Love the feeling, but love the verb. You know the Love that focuses on your behaviors. The Love that, if you are a Christian, requires you to first love God with your whole heart, mind, soul and strength and then Love one another as you love yourself….because as the bible says, all the commands can be summed up in these two greatest commands. Let’s be honest! For the person who truly has an issue with the way that other people live their lives, which is something that they cannot control, it usually is an indication that there is something that they don’t love about themselves and are probably too scared to have someone help them deal with it. As a black man in America, especially one who identifies himself as Christian, I would be foolish to support anything that supports inequality cause someone else to be treated unfairly. That’s not LOVE…
At the end of the day though…if I was pissed about what Dan Cathy said, I suppose I would stop eating Chick Fil A. But, I’m not so I will. Also if I was one of those Christians that could not or did not read the bible for myself, I guess I would probably get caught up in the hype of defending a God who, to my knowledge, has never required or asked anyone, who freely believes in Him, to defend who He is, what He does, and what He believes. I could be wrong and again I seek clarification if I am. I could be missing the bigger picture, and again, I invite all perspective that will aid my “narrow focus”. But if there is one thing that we can agree on though…it has to be the Chick Fil A used these comments of Mr. Cathy and thus deposited all the money that came in as a result #UltimateHustle.
What do you think? Is there something that I missed? Is there a perspective that I am just not grasping? Let us know.